Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The engine shuts off when I put it in forward or reverse or

Customer Question

The engine shuts off when I put it in forward or reverse or pull the power take off switch. This happens sometimes, then after setting over nite, everthing works.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: With engine running, I put the hydrostatic in the forward or reverse position and it shuts the engine off. Could this be the safety relay?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Make and model? Have you checked the seat switch and harness to it for a bad connection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JD 4500 tractor. I jumped out the seat switch, twisted them together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has happened over the past couple of months. I let it sit over night and it starts up and goes. This is the first time that it just stopped when I was running it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking maybe the safety relays are bad.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the park brake switch. It may be stuck, making the run circuit opem, which lets tractor think that brake is still on. As for relays, there are six relays , all alike, not identified as to each purpose. You could mark them, and then swap them to see if problem changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have that drawing, I can and have put this in forward or reverse with the parking brake on and it does not kill the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This unit only has two Safety relays.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, swap them and check that park brake switch!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The Deere link I sent showed 6 relays.