Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a toro ss3200 with the 16 h.p.toro and the starter

Customer Question

I have a toro ss3200 with the 16 h.p.toro and the starter engages but the starter motor spins makes a whirring sound and the eng,doesn't crank or it cranks slowly.It does it intermitently.and the next time it may crank ok.is this a common problem with this starter.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It can be starter or solenoid problem, but battery cable connections will do the same thing.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The starter solenoid/relay would be the common problem for intermittent starts. It would not make good contact and it is the connection between the battery and the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done a voltage drop test on the pos.and neg.cables and relay with eng.cranking and it was .2 v.on the pos.and less than .1 v.on neg. And amperage draw at initial crank is165 amp and crank is 68 amp.it doesn't draw higher amperage or voltage drop increase until engine is cranking at normal speed.this starter has a regular starter drive with over running clutch.can that slip and finally catch and crank the engine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What engine is this? What is voltage drop across the battery when starter is turning? 165 and 68 amps seems high for typical gas mower engine. I would not have expected that much.??

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Starter drive should not slip! It would need to be replaced!