Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a tecumseh enduro xl c 13.0 model ohv130 on a riding

Customer Question

I have a tecumseh enduro xl c 13.0 model ohv130 on a riding lawn mower. It will start at the choke setting & the engine will run at very low setting. But when I move the throttle control to the normal cutting setting, the engine runs for a few seconds then dies. I've removed & cleaned the gas tank & installed new gas lines & gas filter after running some SeaFoam thru the system. . Oil is new & gas cap vents okay.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Have you removed the float bowl on the carburetor and checked the bowl for debris, and the flow of fule through the needle valve passage from the fuel tank?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I removed the bowl and giggled the float some but don't know how to check the flow thru the needle valve.

With bowl removed, crank engine, so fule pump is working, and see if fuel comes through the needle passage. Have spark plug wire off, so engine does not try to start. You should get a steady flow of fuel. If not remove the line coming to carb and test the fuel from pump.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Roger that. I had to leave for the afternoon but will give that a try this evening and will advise.
Thanks, Rick

OK>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Curtis: I tried the suggestion - removed the bowl, disconnected the spark plug wire and turned the engine over. No fuel flow is evident. Also, there is no fuel pump between the gas tank and the carburetor.
What do you think?
Rick

Gravity fule flow, blow back into the tank to clear the line. There has to be blockage at the tank.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I get good flow from the gas tank to the carburetor - gravity flow. I previously removed the gas tank & cleaned it, put new lines & gas filter. The float and needle valve are clean & functioning.

No fuel from tank into the float bowl? Sounds to me the needle valve passage is plugged, with debris or the seat is plugged.If it has an all metal needle valve,it will have a rubber seat in the upper needle valve passage, which can swell and plug the passage or restrict it!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is good fuel flow (gravity fed) from the gas tank to the carburetor. The carburetor bowl has adequate fuel. The float & needle valve are clean. The seat looks clean. When I lower the bowl below the level of the gas tank, there is good flow thru the seat into the bowl. The puzzle for me is the engine starts easily in the choke setting. And it will run at choke albeit rough. It will run in the idle setting. When I move the throttle control to cutting speed, the engine runs for a few seconds then dies.

Lack of fuel getting through the carburetor. Either flow through the needle is insufficient, or the carburetor jets are plugged.