Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My name is ***** *****. I have an RXV that when you put it

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an RXV that when you put it in to reverse the auto brake locks. If you put in to forward you can drive it until you release the pedal and the brakes lock. you then have to cycle the key switch. We have replaced the "speedsensor" and it does exactly the same thing. pre 2012 model.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? RXV has the motor brake and the brake has to have a full 48 volts or it will apply without warning. So it is very dependent on the battery voltage staying constant. Not sure why reverse is worse than forward, as they both use the same solenoid to power the brake. The brake is a spring applied, and electrically released brake, so when voltage drops, the spring applys the brake. Check pack voltage, fully charged would be around 54 volts, and each battery , if 6, 8 volts batteries would be close to 8.3 volts, ar with 4, 12 volt batteries , around 13.5 volts. What is the age of the batteries and does the charger run a full charge cycle, around 8 hours?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Curtis
The batteries were replaced in December 2015.I suspected that the car was not holding charge. So I charged it and did a load test on it, and the load test ran for a quite a while before I switched it off. So it seems to be that the batteries are holding the voltage. but I will go and check again. would have any other ideas as to what the problem could be?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do You think it could be the auto brake? The Curtis handheld tester is telling me that is a speed sensor fault, but we have changed the speed sensor.

Voltage drop is the most common problem,followed by the brake solenoid, and the brake itself.

Speed sensor is mounted on the drive motor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the speed sensor is on top of the motor, on the side of the motor closest to the input shaft.

So I would guess that the reader is seeing the motor slow with brake!