Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a honda ex5500 generator a few years old. it won't

Customer Question

I have a honda ex5500 generator a few years old. it won't start. I have been trying for days. I got it to start for a few seconds a number of times but won't keep running. I read the manual and it has sparks, breaker ok.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: It appears that it is not getting fuel. The manual says to loosen the drain screw and fuel will come out. but no fuel does out. I took the screw all the way out and no fuel.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you take the screw out of the bowl you said there is no fuel coming out. Have you made certain that the fuel valve is turned on? There is fuel in the tank? I am in no way trying to be smart about my reply but we have to cover all the possible causes and these are the two easiest and could save a lot of other troubleshooting if either of these are not checked.

Once you are certain that these are not a problem then lets remove the fuel bowl from the bottom of the carburetor if you haven't done so already. Then we want to move the float up and down to make certain that it is moving freely and that the float valve is working properly as well. If everything is working properly and you pull the float down you should have fuel flowing out through the float valve, if not then we need to look for an obstruction in the fuel system, either fuel line restricted, fuel shut off valve clogged, inlet of carburetor stopped up.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i turned the valve on the control panel both directions on/off multiple times and no effect. Tank is full and mostly fresh gas. not sure how to remove the fuel bowl. how do I do this or where can I get a diagram.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just took out the cup as mentioned in the owners manual and cleaned it thoroughly. It appears the gas gets out of the fuel valve, and to the other end of the hose into the carburetor (I think that is where that hose is connected), but doesn't come out of the drain valve. So how do I access the float valve? Is it under the air cleaner holder etc?

Yes, the float bowl is actually behind the air cleaner assembly. You should find two bolts or screws in the bowl, one in the bottom center and the other offset to one side, the bottom center one will actually remove the bowl, the offset one is to drain the fuel from the bowl. I would remove the bowl and make certain that you have fuel coming into the carburetor when the float is down or open.