Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 22 hp &slawn tractor revs to full throttle when i start

Customer Question

my 22 hp b&slawn tractor revs to full throttle when i start it up. why dose it do this and how do i cure it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you start the engine and manually control the governor system or linkage by hand? What happens when you do this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have to turn it off to avoidover reving
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i do not want to damage my engine if it overspeeds
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call + Printer or Wifi Setup. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you just type my anser

That is the reason I asked you to manually try to control the speed by holding the linkage. If you can manually control the engine by holding the linkage by hand then the internal governor gear is damaged or broken and you will need to disassemble the engine in order to repair the problem. If you can not manually control the speed by holding the linkage then your problem is external(linkages, adjustments, throttle plate in carburetor) and you would not have to disassemble the engine. By manually controlling the linkage there is no chance of damaging the engine because you control the engine speed by hand.