Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a sp-170 rigid pressure washer. timing chain sticks

Customer Question

have a sp-170 rigid pressure washer. timing chain sticks when it is manually moved to stage of exhaust valve
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: turn crank 3/4 turns , it freezes , thinking its the exhaust stroke. back it up manually 3/4 turn in opposite direction it freezes same spot. timing gear look clean and little wear
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: rigid power washer model RD 80701 sp170 Subaru engine pressure washer. Cat pump looks good but frozen on drive shaft. lower chain case still in place
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Have you looked at the valve action? Does spark plug show any damage? If valves check good, and no damage to the spark plug. And I assume the engine will not turn with spark plug removed? I would think problem may be with the pump. To tell for sure, you are going to have to get the pump off the engine, or disassemble it on the engine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It sounds like it's in top valve. But I was afraid the only way i was going ton be sure was to disassemble pump. I will try that next.
Thanks

You could remove the cylinder head!

Or remove the timing chain.