Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Kawasaki fh541v. When it idles it surges fairly

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki fh541v. When it idles it surges fairly rapidly. I have cleaned the carb, replaced carb gaskets, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, new fuel pump with new vac line. I can not figure the surging out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Fuel is new today.
JA: Our top Small Engine Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Small Engine Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Small Engine Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. The surging is an indication that your carburetor is starving for fuel at idle speed. Did you soak your carburetor prior to cleaning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
soaked, over night then taken apart for cleaning
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Did you use a small wire to clean the small jet and fuel passages inside the body of your carburetor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see the fuel in the filter also surges as the engine surges. I attributed this to the vac assist fuel pump. yes all cleaned with a small wire.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Does your engine surge at higher speeds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surges at all speeds.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you hold the throttle on your carburetor, with your hand, will surging go away, or continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surging continues, will idle faster then eventually engine will stall
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If the surging continues, this indicates that you still have a partially clogged jet, or fuel passage, although you have cleaned your carburetor. Have you checked to see if your fuel shut off solenoid is fully opening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked that I can hear it click when the key is engaged. The solenoid was replaced last season.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to check the solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If it was replaced last season, then it is likely ok, if you can hear it click. Was your carburetor fuel bowl dirty, before you cleaned it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to bad some sediment though.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Remove your fuel hose from your carburetor, then turn your key to start position, to spin your engine. Watch to see if you are getting a good flow of fuel to your carburetor. Catch your fuel in a suitable container. If you are getting fuel to your carburetor, then your carburetor is still our problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this. Have to step out will reply tomorrow. Thank you for your help this far.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! No problem. Also, spray some carburetor cleaner around the area where your carburetor mounts to your intake manifold. Let's see if the surging changes.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I look forward to knowing your results, on tomorrow. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the fuel line, it is pumping well. I sprayed at the carb connection, no change. I also removed the carb to ensure the main jet was clean. carb all clean.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. Due to the fact that you are getting fuel to your carburetor, and you do not have air leaks between your carburetor and intake manifold, I am lead to believe that your carburetor is still at fault, although you have cleaned it.