Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Generac Model Numberwith 992cc engine that won't

Customer Question

I have a Generac Model Number(###) ###-####with 992cc engine that won't turn over. I have replaced the battery and even jumped to be sure it was not a battery issue. I turned off the propane to be sure it was not an issue with high gas pressure causing too high pressure in the cylinders, but no change. I checked the valve lifter settings. I also disconnected the service to be sure it was not being loaded by the generator. Lastly, I removed the spark plugs and it cranks fine with no plugs in. Is there a decompression mechanism which might not be operating properly? If so how do I access to repair?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

What is the battery voltage when you try to use the starter? If voltage stays above 9 volts, the starter is likely the problem. Just does not have the torque to spin the engine. When was engine last started? There is no compression release on this engine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I run the test you suggested and with the single battery and the voltage dropped to about 9 volts. I then supplemented with a second battery using jumper cables and the voltage only dropped to about 11 volts, but did not seem to crank the engine starter any better. I will purchase and install another starter, but want to keep this case open until I can confirm this resolves the problem. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or tests to diagnose the problem more definitively.

OK, I think it will be the starter.