JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My own and generator is in a 2010 Vista. When I prime it

Customer Question

My own and generator is in a 2010 Vista . When I prime it from inside the RV it wants to kick over but not stay started . The generator hours keep flashing on and off . When I do it from the starter switch on the RV it is the same problem it will start but not stay started and the red starter light will flash on and off . It also will kick over when the breaker switch is on off . Please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you are not getting enough fuel in order to keep the engine running. What happens if you spray some carburetor cleaner or starting fluid directly into the throat of the carburetor while the engine is running? Will it continue to run? The breaker switch only turns the voltage output on/off going from the generator to the control panel, the engine will still start and run when it is turned off.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm pretty sure I figured it out . The cranking speed less than 180 rpm's more than two seconds will make it stop working . This has to do with cleaning and tightening the positive and negative battery cable connections at the battery and at the generator . Or the battery needs to be replaced .

Alright, I am glad that you have figured out the problem.

Thanks for choosing JA. If you need additional information you can always come back here and continue our conversation.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.