Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a riding Weedeater VIP mower. The primary drive shaft

Customer Question

I have a riding Weedeater VIP mower. The primary drive shaft for the cutting unit is sticking.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: There is a shaft that drops down from the engine, with a wheel at the bottom, which spins the belt.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It seems like the shaft is sticking at one point as it spins, and the eingine cannot push it through that spot.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

You are saying the engine will not turn over fully for start? This is not lower pulley problem, but a compression problem. Also is the battery fully charged, with over 13 volts? Is this the Briggs single cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, that is not what I am saying, and I am not satisfied with this answer. Am I going to be charged to continue this conversation?

Can you explain better what is happening? And have you tried to spin engine with spark plug removed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The engine starts up fine. The issue is this: when I use the lever to engage the cutting system, the blades will turn for a few seconds, and then stop turning. The motor continues to run, but no action from the blades. I can use the lever to disengage the blades, but when I re-engage the blades the same thing happens.With the engine off, I can spin (by hand) any of the pulleys in the belt system. However, the primary shaft, which drops down from the main engine, seems to have a very stiff point in its rotation. Of course, it is connected via belt to a pulley at the back of the mower, so maybe that pulley is the issue?Worth noting: the stiff point in the front shaft seems to occur every other turn. In other words, I can turn it once around by hand with no problem; during the second turn it stiffens up. I can force it through the stiff point, then spin it around twice to get back to it.Also: this mower was recently given to me, and on my first ride I clunked the cutting mechanism pretty solidly with a tree root hidden in some tall grass. There was some debris in the cutting system, and the lower belts were knocked off. This is likely when the issue started.One last note: If i leave the clipping mechanism engaged, even after it has stopped turning, while the motor is running, it eventually starts smoking, at which point I shut it down.

The pulley has to be keyed to the crankshaft. The key or the pulley may be stripped out and is not turning with the crankshaft. Remove the pulley and see if it has a loose key or a raised area inside the pulley to mate the slot in the crankshaft.

# ***** in the above link?

Did you find the problem?