JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 2013 model exmark quest. Hydrostatic problem? It

Customer Question

I have a 2013 model exmark quest. Hydrostatic problem? It will not go forward or backward. I can hear the motor in a strain as I push or pull the handles. The belt is on and the bypass levers are in the correct position. I think the brakes stuck. but I don't know what to check or how to check that.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The first thing that comes to mind when reading your information is that the brake may be stuck. The brakes on this machine are located on the outside of the transmission housing and are control by moving the drive control levers from the outward neutral position by pulling them together as if you were getting ready to move the machine. There are linkages that go from the drive control levers down to the brake assemblies on the sides of the transmissions. Make certain that the brakes are both releasing(one on each transmission housing). If you find no issues there then I would recommend changing the transmission fluid and filters, if the filters become stopped up it would cause poor fluid flow which would explain the lack of movement and a whining noise when trying to operate the machine. If you find no issues there then you likely have an internal transmission problem(seals or swash plate worn) that is causing your problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your response. As I said before I do believe the brakes are stuck. Also as I said before I did not know how to check the brakes. I see the brakes and the linkage to the brakes. but how does one check the brakes to see if they are stuck? On a side note. When the engine is running and I turn the key off, it does not kill the engine. but when I move the levers out to the brake and safety position it kills the engine. is this related as a safety issue? If not I can simply just replace the ignition switch. If it is not related I just need to know how to check to see if the brakes are stuck. Thank you again. Montey

If you will have someone watch under the rear of the machine on the insides of the transmissions as you start the machine and move the control levers to the drive position you should see the linkages move and pull/push the brake arms off of the brake sprocket on the side of the transmission, if this is not happening then the brake controller is not working. If the brake controller is not working this could also affect the engine kill as everything works back through the brake controller. It really sounds like the brake controller has failed or the pins have corroded and broken or not making a good contact. The engine kill problem is most likely being caused by the brake controller as well. I would start by watching the brake linkage to see if they are moving when you attempt to move the machine. It will be easier if you have someone else that can help you check this.