Steve
Steve, Mechanic
Experience:  ASE auto mechanic that fixes his own small engines
13523613

Our geo prism (corolla in disguise) broke down in a small

Customer Question

Our geo prism (corolla in disguise) broke down in a small town. The oil apparently vanished and 2 connecting rods broke. The mechanic in the town says that the engine will have to be replaced at a cost of about 2500 dollars or a fix will require almost as much. Is this correct? car has 190,000 miles on it, so we would have to replace it if the cost is that high.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say but he is correct. Repairing internal damage to an engine is expensive and time consuming. It is more cost effective to replace the complete engine which will take less time but be just as expensive.

Replacing the car is also another option.

I am sorry the answer was not that he was wrong but it it reality of the situation.