Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Bolen M#-1668, &S 16 hp,twin Engine M

Customer Question

I have a Bolen M#-1668, B&S 16 hp,twin Engine M #-402437-0666-01.
My problem is: Some times after setting it is difficult to start. The engine spins but just will not start. The same condition happens after running and stopping, it just will not fire.
The carb has been with a new one. The regulator was replace a few years ago. The compression is 120 lbs and holds.
The engine has been gone through by two different mechanics. (both have good reputation. )
I do not know if the new carb had a new fuel solenoid. That was the next thing I was going to check. As a test can I remove the plunger and try the engine?
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello Ron. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go. After your engine final starts up, does it perform to your satisfaction, until you shut it off?

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or if it is ignition related. There are a couple of things you can do, to help make this determination.

• During the times when your engine will not start, check to see if you are getting spark to both sparks, and re-check your compression on both cylinders, to see if it has dropped, at that point

• If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

If your engine does start up briefly, then you and I likely have a fuel related issue. Double check to make sure you are getting a good, steady flow of fuel, from your fuel tank, to your carburetor. Sometimes a bad fuel hose, or sediments inside your fuel tank will cause your fuel flow to start and stop periodically.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Shine a flashlight into your fuel tank, to closely inspect it. Also, check your fuel hoses. They can deteriorate internally over time, and collapse.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Ron, you and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to cancel my question, cancel any trial, cancel any monthly agreement/contract. I do not like what I am getting into. There appears to be one dollar charge after another.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Ron, click on the customer service link on your page. They will be happy to do a cancellation for you. I hope you get your engine up and running again real soon. Note: Check to see if your choke is fully closing. Take care, and have a great day!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

If you still want help, this is the old flat head opposed cylinder engine. If it starts cold, and will not start after it warms up, the valves are too tight, and need to be repaired. On this engine the valves get too tight, and there is no adjustment, so the tip of valves have to be ground off to get clearance. So engine heads have to be removed and valves removed to repair.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not want any more text's or emails