Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

How do i change the armature on a 11.5 hp engine

Customer Question

how do i change the armature on a 11.5 hp engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer

When you say armature are you meaning the charging system or the magneto

To change the coil you have to remove the screws to the engine cover I'll pull a diagram

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm talking the coil with the spark plug wire

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/15t202-0915-f8-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/blower-housing-electric-starter-flywheel-rewind-starter/

Part 305 is the blower housing , that has to come off , should be 4 to 5 bolts to remove it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do I have to remove the gas tank to do that?

At that point you will see the flywheel and the coil is bolted up near it . It has 2 bolts holding it on . Unbolt those and it will have a ground wire connected to it

You may , depending on what the engine is on , on generators most times no because the cover slides off

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where do I find what part 305 is?

When you get the new coil you will have to gap it , easiest way is to get a old business card and turn the flywheel so the magnets are facing the coil to pull it in , put the business card between the flywheel and coil and let the flywheel pull it in , then tighten the coil down and turn the flywheel to remove the business card , the air gap is set at that point

I sent a link , here it is , click this link and 305 is on the diagram

Or put that Web address in your browser and it will open the diagram

Your engine should look like this right ? . You will need to remove the gas tank , and the control panel plate to get to the blower housing if it does ,

Hi were you ever able to see the diagram I sent ? . On your motor rhe tank and control plate look like they have to be removed

Did you ever get the armature changed ??