Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Troy Built Super Bronco XP that I bought in the

Customer Question

I have a Troy Built Super Bronco XP that I bought in the fall of 2014. it ran fine...after pulling it out to mow for the first time in the spring of 2015 it wouldn't start. My husband winterized it before putting it. It turns over, but will not start unless we spray starting fluid in.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Small Engine Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Small Engine Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Small Engine Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Did you have any gas left inside your fuel tank, over the fall and winter months?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we drained the old gas, filled with new and add some stuff (can't remember the name of it) that came with the tractor. It was specifically for the winter
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Did you recently drain the old gas?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If so, by the time you drained the old gas, it had already contaminated your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

It is very likely that you have either a clogged jet, or fuel passage in the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If so, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have used the starting fluid. That is the only way it will start and run. Just recently we ran so sea foam through, and still have the same problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. I would like for you to checking else for me.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Check to see if you are getting a steady, continous flow of gas from your fuel tank to your carburetor. This will confirm if you are getting fuel to your carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is. We did check this.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Also, check the fuel shut off solenoid under your carburetor. It should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. If you are actually getting fuel to your carburetor, and your fuel solenoid is working, this indicates that your carburetor needs a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Gas will turn stale within thirty to forty five days, if the fuel is not treated with fuel stabilizer. Stale gas will turn to gum and varnish, and eventually clog the small jets and small fuel passages, in your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This is very likely the source of our problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats the best way to clean the carburetor?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The best way will be to remove your carburetor, then use some carburetor cleaner in a can, and a small wire, to clean your carburetor. If you have an air compressor, compressed air works really well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all of your help!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! Sometimes you can get by with just removing your fuel bowl, then cleaning it, and the underside of your carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, that's good to know! We will try that first!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Very good! It is definitely worth a try.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can come continue from here, if you need additional assistance. When you have a chance, please take a moment to rate my answer.