Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Sears 42 inch mower with Kohler 15.5 hp engine, is not

Customer Question

sears 42 inch mower with Kohler 15.5 hp engine, is not charging. How can I test and repair?
.I just installed a new battery and the charging voltage is 12.59 and I get the same voltage when it is not running.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Kohler model number? The charging coil (stator) is under the flywheel and has two wires that go to the voltage regulator, the tow wires from the coil produce AC volts and reading needs to be 28 volts AC or more, with plug off the regulator. If it has 28 volts or more, it is good. The regulator then is tested, the center post is the output to the battery and would read around 14 volts if it is good.

Here is manual for CV series Kohler. See section 8 for the electrical.