Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 33" vac with a 17hp Briggs and Stratton. It's been

Customer Question

I have a 33" hi-vac with a 17hp Briggs and Stratton. It's been sitting in my garden shed for a full season. It "ran when parked" as they say. Now I cannot get it to run. I checked for spark and had none so I disconnected the wire that goes to the coil that grounds it to shut the engine off. Now I have spark. I replaced the fuel, fuel filter and checked the solenoid in the bowl of the carb and it's working and receiving 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned on and at start. It will not start unless I pour a small amount of gas into the intake. Then it starts and runs normally until that amount of gas is consumed and then it stops. I took the carb apart and soaked it in mineral spirits and cleaned it. I blew compressed air through every passage I could find and it seems to be open.... So..Two problems? Electrical and carb? Or just one causing this?
Thank you
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Fuel supply problem. Are you getting fuel to the carburetor from the fuel tank? You mentioned fuel solenoid, you don't have another Briggs that has just a bowl bolt, that you could install instead of the solenoid for test??? I see many of the Briggs solenoids give problems, they check good, but still do not open the main jet when activated with key.