Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Cannot figure out why my 1988 Moto 4 will not start, Well it

Customer Question

cannot figure out why my 1988 Moto 4 will not start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well it has been sitting for about 2 years and before that I rebuilt the carb and had it running great... now I am not getting a green light on the neutral light and cannot get to it to tell if the bulb is bad on that... but I know there is power at the key but will not do anything when I press the start button and the selector is in the RUN position
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like a step by step to test if the 4 wheeler is in neutral and then a step by step of how to test why the electric start will not work!!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test with? What is battery voltage? Have you cleaned the battery terminals? Do you get any indication that you have voltage to the key? You say you know it has voltage to the key, do you have at least 12 volts at key?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am working with a voltmeter, the battery has 12 volts and there is 12 volts at the key... the battery terminals are clean... I dont know if there is a way to bypass the neutral safety switch or not but I would like to try it if there is... I dont have a clue where to find a wiring diagram of this ancient atv either.

Here is owners manual.

Do any of the dash lights come on, F/ R ??

Fuses good?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it looks like mine but the neutral and reverse lights are rectangular on the dash itself. No lights come on the dash at all... The only lights I have are foward and reverse... I dont even know where the fuses are on this atv either now that you say that.

Try jumping the two battery terminals on the starter solenoid to see if the engine will spin.

Page 8-32 shows the fuse.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the starter solenoid?

Starter solenoid is at the end of the positive battery cable!

Here is a link where you can buy and download a service manual for $10

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will attempt to find the starter solenoid and jump it and see if it turns, although I dont think any voltage is getting there as I cannot get it to do anything with the electric start button...

On the solenoid will be a single wire, that comes from the keyswitch, that is what has to close the solenoid and make the connection. The battery cable has to be on the solenoid or you would not have power to the key, the small wires on the same terminal as the battery cable go to the fuse, to the keyswitch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I found the problem it was a fuse. Now the throttle cable is broke and The needle piece and assembly that comes out of the top of the carb that the throttle cable hooks to needs to be replaced and I do not not know what that assembly would be? It is a spring and needle and plastic piece that all comes out when you unscrew it to get to the throttle cable in the carb. Thanks for the input

Look the part up on the Bike Bandit site and see if they have it.

Please accept to close. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the VIN plate on these ancient things?

Should be on the side frame, up front, stamped into the frame or a plate riveted on.