eddie22Island
eddie22Island,
90350505

I have a model 19173 guardian toro push lawnmower where the

Customer Question

I have a model 19173 guardian toro push lawnmower where the rope does not retract after being pulled. How can I fix this.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  eddie22Island replied 8 months ago.

hi Bill ...........you're going to have to replace the whole pull start ...............how old is the mower?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a 1973 model number 19173-300001.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For my question to be answered satisfactorily, I would need to know how to be able to purchase such an assembly and how to replace it with the old one.

you didn't mention that the rope broke ....it didn't right ?............I figured the spring tension might have busted since it wasn't retracting like you said.......but there is a way that you may be able to salvage that part before you purchase the new one

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Toro-Lawn-Mower-Rewind-Spring/590433/1731374?modelNumber=19173&ss=a21b330c122d1102699&mr=1

there should be 4 screws on top cover over the engine..............remove them then the oil stick and then the cover .....put the stick back in .......you will see the pull start and it should have 2 more screws on it ......remove them and then you will be able to see if the starter has enough tension to rewind.......let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
eddie,
The rope is solid and unbroken. This is an older toro (where there are no screws holding the cover on and no oil dip stick. The starter assembly is attached to the right side of the engine. The cover can be lifted up after removing the gas cap. The manual for this mower is Form No. 3310-371..
Bill
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
eddie,
This is a 19 inch wide cut mower rather than the 20 inch I mistakenly mentioned. Please forgive.
Bill

it looks like that procedure on removing the start coil is still that same from what I see........if you need a part that is for the number you gave me

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
eddie,
Well, the recoil starter sits on the side of the mower, not on the top. In the meantime, I went on the internet and found info on the model number I sent you and a full description of the recoil starter on "PartsTree". Looking at the diagram, I opened the side cover and noticed that the spring was broken. I then ordered a new spring.
I don't want to give you a bad rating but I don't feel I should owe you the whole $18.00. Please let me know how to proceed.
Bill

something got crossed somehow..........but that's fine you don't have to give me a rating...........I accept that........ you could leave it

Thanks

eddie