Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Hank I'm ***** *****, my issue is in regards to a generac

Customer Question

hi hank I'm ***** *****, my issue is in regards ***** ***** generac home stand-by gen. that runs on propane. When my unit starts I smell propane for a little while then the smell goes away.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my gen. starts at normal rpm then drops back to exercise rpm( about 1/2 speed) is it possible this is residual gas from start up?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

When it starts, does it start fairly quickly, or does it have to go through several cranking attempts before it starts?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

I'm guessing that it goes through a couple of start cycles before ti actually starts?

If so, the fuel mixture may be a bit rich, the plugs could be weak, to valves may need to be adjusted, or it may just be a finicky genset.

If it is not starting right away, the gas you are smelling is gas that is simply going through the engine without being burned. Once started, it will go away.