Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a gen set, northern lights in my trawler, low hours

Customer Question

I have a gen set , northern lights in my trawler , low hours and runs great . The problem just started , after running for 5 min or so will stop . Will start right up again and as long as the glow plug switch is held will run but when it is released will die again . It did this last year and was an easy fix but cannot find the person who fixed it or remember what the problem was . Any ideas.
Good oil , h2o and fuel as well as filters.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

What engine? Sounds like the fule solenoid is dropping out. It has to stay open or fule is shutoff the injectors. The solenoid has two coils and one is engaged with the start cycle/glow plugs,and otheris the hold coil, which has to hold solenoid after the start coil pulls it into position. Sounds like the hold is not working. Test solenoid for battery voltage when key is on. If it has voltage, the solenoid can be bad, or may need to be adjusted so it is at full travel .If it does not bottom out, the small hold coil will not keep it open.