Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Onan 5.5 shutts off and gives code 47 checked found

Customer Question

I have a Onan 5.5 shutts off and gives code 47 checked found no spark on spark plug wired. Once it cools down for a while it will turn back on. And does it all over again.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is*****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Code 47 is Ignition Fault.

What you are describing is a bad ignition coil. It is breaking down when it gets hot, and working again when it is cool. This will only get worse with time.

Due to the complexity of having to remove the genset and completely tear it down to replace the coil, it is a good idea to go ahead and replace both of them while you are in there.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?