Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Got lawn mower problem, but 't have any money to pay you, i

Customer Question

got lawn mower problem, but don't have any money to pay you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i tried to start it and got backlash, i replaced the flywheel key and it won't start. i can't tell if it's getting spark. when i removed the flywheel to put in the new key i removed the spark module and may not have got it back in adjustment
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: at least it sparked enough before i replaced the key to jerk the rope out of my hand
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you please send me a refund. I'm getting jacked around about changing my password. When i pull up the email i was sent to replace password ***** get an ad wanting me to agree to $18 a month for 5 questions
Expert:  eddie22Island replied 1 year ago.

Hi ........I am not a small engine expert but after this bit of advice that I do know about I will opt out and let another of my colleagues offer some other solutions

To see if you are getting a spark you would put a screwdriver through the top sparkplug contact and place it down the housing and hold with your foot and pull the start cord and see if indeed there is a spark

Thanks

eddie

you don't have to accept that .........and if you get in contact with costumer service they can send you a refund if you did get charged something ........but they would be better able to help you .......I have no control over any charges

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is that i can't hold the screwdriver and pull the rope at the same time. I was supposed to be put in contact with a small engine mechanic

you would hold it in place with your foot..........I just wanted to offer what I knew from experience I am going to opt out there is no reason to click any kind of rating as I was just trying to help you somehow........good luck

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** am a small engine tech. I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You stated that you replaced your flywheel key. Was your original flywheel key sheared?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Due to the fact that you cannot hold your screwdriver, and pull your rope at the same time, I know of another way for you to check for spark.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Re-insert your spark plug, and put your spark plug wire back onto your spark plug. Spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, or starting fluid directly into your carburetor, then pull your rope. If your engine attempts to start, then your spark plug is getting spark.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Let me know, and you and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that first. Yes the key sheared and i replaced it. Before i replaced it i would pull the starter rope get a puff of white smoke and the rope would jerk out of my hand with a great deal of force. I removed the top covers and pulled the flywheel and removed the magneto module. Installed a new key and put everything back together. Tried to start and got bupkis
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. Did you re-set the gap between your flywheel magnets, and your magneto module? If not, you will need to set gap at .010", using a feeler gauge. You can also use a business card to set your gap. The thickness of a business card is close enough to work just fine for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Also make sure your flywheel nut/bolt is tight enough, or your flywheel key will shear again. Did you initially hit a solid object, that sheared your original key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what sheared it the first time. I used an impact wrench to take it off and put it back on. When i get home I'll check the gap.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Very good! Please let me know what you find. Thanks!