Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Ch980 Kohler engine that is gaining oil level. The

Customer Question

I have a Ch980 Kohler engine that is gaining oil level. The crankcase is filling with gas as it runs. You can smell unburned gas from the exhaust and it doesn't seem to have as much power.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

The CH is carbureted engine and uses a pulse fuel pump. So the only way fuel can enter the crankcase is through the needle valve and float of carburetor. Is the fuel tank above the carburetor? Do you have a fuel shutoff valve on the tank line? If you smell fuel from exhaust , you can have a cylinder that is not firing. Do a cylinder balance test on the engine. This is loosening the spark plug wires, and then with engine at idle, remove one spark plug wire at a time. If engine dies when either plug wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.

Th fuel in the oil can only get there while engine is shutoff. It will not get there while engine is running.

Did you find problem?