Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a small gasoline powered generator in my 1993 motor

Customer Question

I have a small gasoline powered generator in my 1993 motor home. A Generac NP-52g (Model 9202 O).
Yesterday when starting it, it turned over quite a bit (not unusual since it had not run in months and the vehicle's gas tank had been run to below 1/4 tank, which shuts off supply to the generator). When starting it, I usually run for about ten seconds and stop, for a few seconds and then repeat. About the fourth or fifth time it did not turn over but did nothing. I heard a small clunk when I pushed the starter and then the engine would not move. When I go out and start right at the generator, at first I can hear just a tiny sound (very quite squeal or electric pump wine - NOT like a starter running), then it goes away and I hear nothing.
Three years ago it would not start and service tech thought it was not getting gas so he disconnected the line and showed that it was pumping gas. Then it seemed to work fine with no changes for years. Last year when running it would go up and down in revs almost quitting then increasing and would work like that. I have checked oil, air filter and new spark plug last year.
thanks :)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Can you turn the engine by hand to be sure engine is not seized? What is battery voltage when switch is turned to start? Remove spark plug and see if engine will turn. Gas or propane fuel? Is oil level over full or smell of fuel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check these things. It is raining today so not today.
1) Yes, I think it is "seized", at least in my layman's meaning that it will not turn - that is the problem. When the weather dries out I will remove the spark plug as suggested and try it. I am guessing that relieves pressure so it can turn over?
2) BTW it is gasoline powered off of the vehicle's gasoline tank.
3) I do not know how to "turn the engine by hand" as I see nothing to turn. The unit is packed in an access area and only the front is accessable

Yes, if there is fluid on top of the piston, ti should then spin with starter. You may not have to turn by hand.