Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an MTD snowblower model 31AE6FEE503. Everything

Customer Question

I have an MTD snowblower model 31AE6FEE503. Everything works, except the wheels are locked. I turned the machine upside down, and the gears on the main shaft are locked so I can't turn the wheels. The engine runs and the drive plate turns, but it seems that there's something that's locking the wheels. Any ideas?
Thanks,
*** ********
Woodbridge, Ont
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Tom my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer here is a copy of your manual , page 24 in the manual shows the drive system . Part number 2 is the friction disc . Make sure when the drive isn't engaged it isn't touching the friction plate and also make sure it slides on the he shaft as you switch speeds

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/OperatorManualDisclaimerView?storeId=40500&catalogId=50500&langId=-1&pdfLink=http%3a%2f%2fmanuals.mtdproducts.com%2fmanuals%2f772c0707.pdf&htmlLink=

That link will take you to the manual

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks just the same. I have the manual, and can see the friction disc, etc. However, as I stated, the wheels will not turn and I don't see anything blocking it. I called a local repair shop, explained the situation and was told right away that it sounded like seized bearings. I had not thought of that, but it makes sense, as there is no contact between the gears, shaft and any other part of the drive mechanism.I have to say that I am completely dis-satisfied with the answer and since this website said I would be charged $27 only if I received a satisfactory answer, I expect a full refund.

Technicians aren't credited until the problem is resolved and the customer rates their service . To get a refund for posting your question you will have to contact customer service .

The reason I asked about the friction disc os because it puts contact on the friction plate etc which is what makes the wheels turn . But hopefully you have it resolved