Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an onan emerald gold 5500 has about 60 hrs on it,

Customer Question

I have an onan emerald gold 5500 has about 60 hrs on it, 2008 model. I prime it, then crank it and it runs about 3-4 seconds and it kills itself, light flashes 3 times and 3 times. What is it telling me by the code flashing. It either killing itself by cutting ignition off and or fuel shutoff on the carb. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

You didn't state the model number, but I am assuming this is in the HGJ series of gensets.

A code 3 on this unit is merely a service indicator. It means that the controller has detected a problem and set a fault code in the controller.

What ever code has been set will determine what shut the genset down.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is an Onan Marqis Gold
Model: 5.5HGJAB-1038D
S/N H070089035
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do u tell what code keeps shutting the gen set down? It blinks 3 times once it shuts down
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Yup, an HGJ series, just as I suspected.

What is the actual fault code you are getting?

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is blinking one time followed by o second hesitation then four blinks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Code 14 is Over Frequency. It means that the engine is running too fast, and causing the generator to have a high frequency reading - above 66 Hz.