Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 1990 36v club car. Last year everything worked good

Customer Question

I have a 1990 36v club car. Last year everything worked good and it could go several miles between charges. A couple weeks ago I charged and drove it for the first time in a few months and noticed the batteries went from good power to almost dead within 10 minutes of driving. I ordered new batteries. Replaced all 6 batteries and all battery wires and terminals. I charged it last night. I have an accurate voltmeter with instant readout. Today my starting voltage was around 39 volts. Within 5 minutes of use it went below 35 volts and slowed to a crawl. I noticed that as it sits it slowly regains power back to 38.5 volts without being charged and the process restarts. I have checked each cell for proper water level and each battery individually has around 6.4 volts. All connections are clean and tight. Any ideas? Thank you for any info.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

How long does the charger stay on when plugged in? Sounds like the charge is not being completed and batteries die! Like the batteries are on getting what is called a surface charge. Charger should start out around 15 to 20 amps, and drop to near zero, and should stay on around 8 hours to get a full charge.

Did you find charger running full cycle? Please accept to close.