JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a freedom z 52" Model SFZ ser. # 08800381. I replaced

Customer Question

I have a scag freedom z 52" Model SFZ ser. # ***** I replaced the right side charge pump kit #72274 because of leaks. After installing the kit I filled the hydraulic reservoir, started the engine and had no drive power to the left wheel. What happened? what did I do wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What has happened is most likely an air pocket in the system that is keeping the unit from operating properly. What you will need to do is jack the rear tires up off of the ground, start the machine and operate the control levers forward and backward slowly to allow the air to be purged from the system. It may take a little while to get the system fully functional again, I have seen it take as long as thirty minutes to purge. It is not a huge deal, it happens all the time when the fluid level gets low or you have drained or changed the fluid. It will begin to start working again once you get the air purged out of the system.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John,
I tried your purging suggestion with no results. I ran the Scag with wheels off the ground for about 30 minuets slowly working the steering levers from forward to reverse positions. Level of hyd. fluid did not change. Is there another repair I can try? The belt is tight and is on the drive pulley. Should the dump valve control levers be in the drive or free wheeling position? I feel we are on the right track but somehow missing the proper sequence for purging the system. Again, only the right wheel does not engage. Please respond as soon as you can.
Best Regards
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Both of the hydro release valves or dump valves need to be in the drive position otherwise you are wasting your time trying to purge the system.

The repair was made on the right side and you did not touch or bother the left side so it stands to reason that the right side may not be working due to an air pocket in the system of lines. Make sure that the hydro dump valves are in the drive position, if they weren't in your prior attempt to purge the system then retry purge with them in the drive position and see what happens. If you are still having trouble with it the only other thing that I could suggest is to remove one of the hoses and fill it with fluid while turning the rear wheel slowly this will purge any air out of the system and should get it working again.