Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Why does my Guardian 17 KW standby generator continue to

Customer Question

Why does my Guardian 17 KW standby generator continue to shut down with the rpm sense loss every time is attempts to start?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I expect an answer. This is a one time request for the service, correct?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will forward the information tomorrow in regards ***** ***** model and serial no.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have Guardian 17 kw standby generator (natural gas). I have had problems since the day I installed it. It struggle to start, and would make several attempts before starting. I choose to replace my gas meter from a 2 ounce to a 2 lb. hoping that it was struggling to get sufficient gas to the unit. since then I have had the local tech look at it several times. He changed the control board the choke and the starter. The problem continues to exist when I try to manually start it. Once it starts and warms up it start rather easy. The initial start up is when it typically send the loss rpm sensor code. I took the battery off and charged for a day or so with a car charger and the problem continues to exist. Not sure at this point I will check the battery with a meter and the trickle charger. Don't know if is something to do with the engine or gas supply.
Thanks,
Ricky Hulin
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Generac has made many different 17kW gensets.

I need to know the model and serial numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model No. OG8294
Serial No.(###) ###-####08157
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, according to your serial number(###) ###-####( I don't know where you got the 08157 from), the model number of your genset is(###) ###-####

0G8294 is a part number for the engine.

Your unit is still under warranty until March 31, 2019.

The best thing you could do would be to contact an authorized Generac repair technician to have this issue fixed under warranty.

If you need help locating one, I will need your ZIP code.

If you attempt to fix this yourself, you will void the warranty and will be responsible for the cost of any parts.

If you don't mind losing your warranty, and paying for your own parts, I will need to know the code number you are getting. There are 4 different codes for RPM sense loss, and they all have different causes.

I would also need a statement from you saying that you realize that by working on this yourself that you will be voiding your warranty.

Just for the record, the 2 most likely issues here are a bad ignition coil or a bad secondary regulator.