JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a I have a 4KYFA26100K Onan generator. It will run

Customer Question

I have a I have a 4KYFA26100K Onan generator. It will run for an hour or two and die. I've done all the service myself. Here is a list of things I've done.(1) It broke a piston rod a couple years ago. I put a new block in it. I never really had a need for it since then. I only started it and let it run for a few minutes each month.(2) I needed it a couple months ago. It ran for about an hour and quit. I could not immediately start it again. About an hour later it would start, but kept dying after about an hour. It would surge right before it died like it was starving for fuel. No error codes.(3) I started looking into it again over the last week. I noticed that after it would surge and die that I could not hear the fuel pump if I help the stop switch in before starting it. I expected a bad fuel pump.(4) I replaced the fuel pump yesterday. It seems to run longer, but it still surges and dies. I can start it right back up again. Still no error codes though. Onan generator. It will run for an hour or two and die. I've done all the service myself. Here is a list of things I've done.(1) It broke a piston rod a couple years ago. I put a new block in it. I never really had a need for it since then. I only started it and let it run for a few minutes each month.(2) I needed it a couple months ago. It ran for about an hour and quit. I could not immediately start it again. About an hour later it would start, but kept dying after about an hour. It would surge right before it died like it was starving for fuel. No error codes.(3) I started looking into it again over the last week. I noticed that after it would surge and die that I could not hear the fuel pump if I help the stop switch in before starting it. I expected a bad fuel pump.(4) I replaced the fuel pump yesterday. It seems to run longer, but it still surges and dies. I can start it right back up again. Still no error codes though.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Your symptoms make me think that there is a piece of trash in the carburetor that is being sucked up onto the fuel jet and restricting the fuel flow. When the engine dies this trash would fall back away from the jet and allow the unit to run again for a while until it was sucked up onto it again. Since you say you can restart it right away when it dies then I would eliminate a fuel pump problem or ignition problem. I believe that you will need to remove and thoroughly clean the carburetor and make certain that there is no trash in it(be certain to clean the small holes in the jets).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
John,
Thanks for your response. It makes sense. I will pull the carb this evening and let you know.
thank you

Not a problem. If you need additional assistance feel free to continue our conversation here.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
John,
I have not had a chance to work on my generator. We've had some pretty severe weather. I will look at it this weekend and provide a rating after that.

Not a problem. Let me know if you need any additional assistance.