Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My kawasaki germinator has a rough idle and dark smoke. It

Customer Question

Dave. My kawasaki germinator has a rough idle and dark smoke. It appears that the fuel air mixture is too rich. Air flow is fine so too much gasoline is reaching the combustion chamber. Suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The carburetor float and/or needle jet is allowing too much gasoline to pass. The float is clean and appears ok but I haven't inspected the needle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

What is the engine model number? Single cylinder engine or twin engine? Fuel mixture is usually not adjustable, and the needle valve only controls fuel into the float bowl. Mix is controlled by the size of the main jet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a single piston kawasaki generator GE5000. 18 yrs old.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It starts right up but runs touch and at low idle. I pulled the bowl and the float move freely. But there's too much gasoline being sucked in.

Then I would rebuild or replace the carburetor. Be sure and check the float, as it ,may not be floating!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lat year, this happened and I took off the bowl and reassembled and all was well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's it? Rebuild or replace the carburetor? I'd like some guidance on what I can do myself.

Float and the needle valve have to regulate flow of fuel into the bowl. If the float or needle is damaged , it can let excessive fuel reach the cylinder.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible for me to pull the needle and check it out?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last year, I pulled and inspected the bowl. All looked ok so I replaced it. Restarted and the generator ran perfect. The same routine isn't helping this time.

Sure, remove the bowl, the float will have a pin that hods it in place, remove the pin, and the float and needle will come out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll give that a shot.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One last point. When I close the valve to cut fuel to the carburetor, it runs about 30 sec and then the idle picks up right before is dies. So in the instance of gasoline starvation, the fuel air ratio is improved. This is why I know that too much gasoline is going in. Also, from past experience, it usually takes 2-3 minutes to drain the bowl, not the 30 sec that I'm currently experiencing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The pin that holds the float does not want to come out. Any other suggestions?

It can be stuck, use a screwdriver and lightly tap on the pin to see if it will move and then be pulled out with pliers. It should be a straight pin, and can go either direction.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The float is out but bi sign of the needle.

See figure 6 for needle and float. Your carb will be similar design.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have that needle but I'm going to look again in the bowl.

It has to have a needle!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Found it on the ground and it looks perfect.

Needle is in the passage from the fuel inlet, and is opened and closed by the float.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rubber tip looks good and no corrosion. Should I reassemble and try it again?

Will float , float in water? Could it be filled with fluid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked for fluid and none there. It has very low density. I'm trying to reassemble but it's a pain to get the needle in place, hold the float and push the pin in. Will keep trying.

Yes, works best if carburetor is off and you hold it upside down!

Did you blow out the inlet passage, from needle side to fuel inlet side, with the fuel hose off, to clear any debris that may have been keeping needle open?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not check the passage but maybe tomorrow. I reassembled and still have the low rpm and very rough idle. As before, when I close the fuel valve and the bowl is nearly empty, the engine surges and runs very smoothly.

Sounds like the needle is not sealing the passage, either debris under the needle or bad needle, or the float is not pushing the needle into the passage.