Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean

Customer Question

i have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean and getting fuel but wont start and the starter gets really hot fast. engine is brand new out the box
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What type of equipment is your engine mounted on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
z225 john deere zero turn mower. the original engine burnt up so i got a new one model #31N707. It has fire, fuel, and air. It pops like it wants to start and occasionaly backfires out of the intake.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Have you checked to see if the fuel solenoid on your carburetor is clicking, after you turn your ignition switch on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have and it is functioning properly.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaning in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Keep in mind that an engine needs three things in order to run. Spark, Fuel, and Compression. You have confirmed spark and fuel.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i pulled the spark plug and sprayed starter fluid directly in the cylinder and all it did was pop when i cranked it. i had to rob the flywheel and all the elect. components (stater, regulator, etc.) i know it has the 3 things it needs to run. its brand new out the box. im a mechanic myself but this one has me stumped
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i had to take those parts off of the old engine for this one to have enough "juice" to engage the pto. another thing, it doesnt take long for the starter to get extremely hot and the battery to die
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is it possible for something electrical (flywheel, staiter, coil) to be bad or not installed properly and still have spark?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I am back now. I had to reboot my computer.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You stated that your starter gets hot. Does your engine seems to be dragging as it spins?

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You also mentioned that your engine pops, and sometimes backfire out of your intake. I would double check your flywheel key, just to be sure, due to the fact that you changed out your flywheel.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what should i look for on the flywheel? im sure the key is there. and yes the motor seems to have some drag like its not turning fast enough to start
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I would like to ask you a troubleshooting question.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

How did you prevent your flywheel from spinning, as you were tightening the flywheel nut/bolt?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i used a pneumatic impack to tighten it
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for this information. Can you double check to see if your flywheel key is partially sheared.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

This will give you and me a good starting point.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the flywheel key is in tact. are you thinking the flywheel is occasionaly "free spinning"?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

It appears that your timing could be off. Many times when an engine spins with excessive resistance, the problem is caused by a sheared flywheel key, or your valves being out of adjustment.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Did you change out your flywheel, stator, regulator, etc., to keep your wiring the same?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Ok ...

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I would like to make a suggestion to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ill take any suggestion at this time haha
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. Use your impact wrench to remove your flywheel nut/bolt, and let's be sure your flywheel key is not partially sheared. If your flywheel key is ok, I would like to have the model and type numbers from your old engine. I would like to compare the two flywheels.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You can also look closely at both flywheels, to see the keyways, and magnets are positioned the same on both.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ill do that to be sure. theres a part # ***** on the inside of the flywheels and there identical.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If both flywheels are identical, we will focus on your flywheel key for now. I will be here to work with you until 10:00 pm central time tonight. There are no additional fees for us to continue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im shutting it down for the night and will check the flywheels tomorrow when i can get a puller. is there any additional fees if we do this again tomorrow?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

There is not a time limit on your question. We can continue tomorrow, and continue until your engine is running, at no additional fees. Take your time. We will figure it out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks. i hope we do before my grass gets too tall haha
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome! We will get it done in time for you to beautify your lawn.

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating ...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i put the new flywheel on and it started first crank. im good to go
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Very good! Thank you for letting me know. I am glad you got your engine up and running.