Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean

Customer Question

i have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean and getting fuel but wont start and the starter gets really hot fast. engine is brand new out the box
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What type of equipment is your engine mounted on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
z225 john deere zero turn mower. the original engine burnt up so i got a new one model #31N707. It has fire, fuel, and air. It pops like it wants to start and occasionaly backfires out of the intake.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked to see if the fuel solenoid on your carburetor is clicking, after you turn your ignition switch on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have and it is functioning properly.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaning in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that an engine needs three things in order to run. Spark, Fuel, and Compression. You have confirmed spark and fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pulled the spark plug and sprayed starter fluid directly in the cylinder and all it did was pop when i cranked it. i had to rob the flywheel and all the elect. components (stater, regulator, etc.) i know it has the 3 things it needs to run. its brand new out the box. im a mechanic myself but this one has me stumped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had to take those parts off of the old engine for this one to have enough "juice" to engage the pto. another thing, it doesnt take long for the starter to get extremely hot and the battery to die
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible for something electrical (flywheel, staiter, coil) to be bad or not installed properly and still have spark?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am back now. I had to reboot my computer.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You stated that your starter gets hot. Does your engine seems to be dragging as it spins?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You also mentioned that your engine pops, and sometimes backfire out of your intake. I would double check your flywheel key, just to be sure, due to the fact that you changed out your flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should i look for on the flywheel? im sure the key is there. and yes the motor seems to have some drag like its not turning fast enough to start
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like to ask you a troubleshooting question.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

How did you prevent your flywheel from spinning, as you were tightening the flywheel nut/bolt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i used a pneumatic impack to tighten it
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Can you double check to see if your flywheel key is partially sheared.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This will give you and me a good starting point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the flywheel key is in tact. are you thinking the flywheel is occasionaly "free spinning"?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

It appears that your timing could be off. Many times when an engine spins with excessive resistance, the problem is caused by a sheared flywheel key, or your valves being out of adjustment.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did you change out your flywheel, stator, regulator, etc., to keep your wiring the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Ok ...

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like to make a suggestion to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill take any suggestion at this time haha
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Use your impact wrench to remove your flywheel nut/bolt, and let's be sure your flywheel key is not partially sheared. If your flywheel key is ok, I would like to have the model and type numbers from your old engine. I would like to compare the two flywheels.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can also look closely at both flywheels, to see the keyways, and magnets are positioned the same on both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill do that to be sure. theres a part # ***** on the inside of the flywheels and there identical.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If both flywheels are identical, we will focus on your flywheel key for now. I will be here to work with you until 10:00 pm central time tonight. There are no additional fees for us to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im shutting it down for the night and will check the flywheels tomorrow when i can get a puller. is there any additional fees if we do this again tomorrow?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There is not a time limit on your question. We can continue tomorrow, and continue until your engine is running, at no additional fees. Take your time. We will figure it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. i hope we do before my grass gets too tall haha
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! We will get it done in time for you to beautify your lawn.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put the new flywheel on and it started first crank. im good to go
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Very good! Thank you for letting me know. I am glad you got your engine up and running.