Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Cub Cadet RT 65 tiller. New last year, worked fine.

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet RT 65 tiller. New last year, worked fine. when I tried to use it Saturday it wont shift into forward tine mode and it has no tilling power. Engine sound good but and the tines turn but when you start to till with it (put a load on it, it stops turning and belt squeals and won't turn it. Unit was stored inside. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

With spark plug wire removed, put it in gear and try to turn the belt that is squealing. Is it tight? Or does it slip on the pulley? It has to be tight, the adjuster has to keep belt tight. It can be out of adjustment, or the adjuster spring and adjuster may be stuck.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did check that and tightened it as far a the adjustment would alow, seems tight.. Made no difference.

With spark plug wire removed, raise the drive, and loosen the belt, see if the drive is easy to turn, or is locked up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It turns easy and turns ok when not tilling, if you just hold the tines up off the ground. When you start to till with it, will make a turn or two and then it stops and will not turn under the load.

Might try a new belt!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You're a big help!

Sorry, but if belt slips when drive is use, and belt is tight, a new belt will have better grip. And you say gearbox is free!