Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Onan 4000 will start but will not stay running on its own?

Customer Question

Onan 4000 will start but will not stay running on its own ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Gas is new fuel pump is working , after it stop the light blinks 3 times and if you push start switch to off it blinks 3 then 6 times carb new about 1 year old !
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Like what more only way it runs is if you run the lever by hand but it still shut off
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have check tomorrow it's 2011 Onan qr 4000 !
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model 4 KYFA-6747L
S/n F###-##-####
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Ok. This is a computer controlled unit. Lets go in and see what fault code is set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I check in the morning
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello 3 blinks about a second then 6 blinks
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Connect a voltmeter to the output leads of the genset, and press and hold the start button to keep the engine running for a few seconds.

How much voltage is being produced?

Remove the air filter. While cranking the engine, start spraying in some carb cleaner (do not use starting fluid). Can you keep the engine running on carb cleaner for 15 or 20 seconds?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok volts drop when cranking down from 14 to 12 to 6 to 1 , sir clean off will not say running spray clean in to opening , the only way it's will run is to run the butterfly choke lever with your finger , but it will still die ?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

You have a fuel issue.

Either you are out of gas, you have a bad fuel line, a bad pump, or a bad carb.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Carbs one old , fuel line new , what kind of fuel press should it have ! Tank is full of new gas !
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

A carb that is a year old can easily be bad -especially if the genset is not exercised regularly.

Fuel pressure from the pump should be 3 - 4 psi.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't check my spelling carb is one year old ! Sorry
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I got that.

Code 36 is almost always a fuel issue. It can also be an internal engine issue.

Since the unit will run somewhat, you do not have an internal engine issue.