Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an older JD 657 that the model label has been washed

Customer Question

I have an older JD 657 that the model label has been washed off so I don't know exactly what the model and serial # ***** But it's just a plain 657 with Kawasaki fh680v engine. The voltage regulator only has the 2 wires from the stator plugged in so I don't know if it will charge this way. But I only see one gray wire not plugged up but it has to be stretched to reach. If I had a schematic of the wiring I may be able to make sure. I just bought it and want it right before proceeding to put $ into it. It looks like someone installed a push button starter, I don't know if they came this way. But wiring is my concern.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

657 is the model number. There is only one other and it is a 657A, both use the same engine. The Kawasaki voltage regulator, has three terminals. the two from under the flywheel would have AC output of 28 volts are more, and go on each of the outer terminals, the center terminal is the DC output and would go to the battery positive, at the starter solenoids positive post, or to the battery terminal of the keyswitch.

To find a wiring diagram it would take a service manual, and I don't have one. Push button for starter has to be previous owner! It came with standard keyswitch start.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Curtis the two from under flywheel are on a plug and are plugged to the two terminals on the left side of regulator and the third terminal is unplugged on the right side of regulator

OK, check the two on the plug for at least 28 volts AC. an check the open terminal for 14 volts DC. I could be wrong, I thought Kawasaki was same wiring on regulator as Kohler.

Did it check out?