Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Am considering buying a 1980 Carver 33 ft boat.. Generator

Customer Question

Am considering buying a 1980 Carver 33 ft boat.. Generator works mechanically (it starts and runs) but does not produce power. Curious about potential costs to repair
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No . Seller says it does not produce power but doesn't know issue. I probably need more details
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 9 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

I see you been waiting a long time

your issue can be several things,

shorted armature, slip rings worn

or just a worn out unit, It may cost more to repair , then a replacement unit

at that age of 1980, I would not invest any $$$ into it

Rather , up grade and replace it

I hope this helped you

Sorry this is not what you want to hear

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

Without knowing the brand and model, it is impossible to give you much information other than the genset needs to be thoroughly diagnosed.

Repairs could potentially run anywhere from free (if you do your own work, and it just needs a good cleaning), to several thousand dollars.

If this unit is a brush type unit, it may just have dirty slip rings that can easily be cleaned in a few minutes, using nothing more than just a piece of sandpaper.

May it would be a bad brush, which can normally be bought for $10 - $20, and may only take 5 minutes to replace.

At the other far end of the spectrum, the stator and rotor may both have physical damage, and repairs could run into the thousands.

Since the engine does start and run, it is definitely worth having it looked at. Then once the problem is found, you can make a much more informed decision of repairing or replacing.