Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 20.5 OHV Performer Onan engine on a Bobcat Welder.

Customer Question

I have a 20.5 OHV Performer Onan engine on a Miller Bobcat Welder. Model # ***** ***** 220GI)HV 2252 A.I This is what is happening: Engine dies after it has been running about 2 minutes. When the left cylinder plug wire is removed it will run fine and continue running until I plug the left cylinder wire back in then it will die. With the right cylinder wire plugged in it will run fine. I can even weld for 15 to 20 minutes or until i kill it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

You sure have a weird one on your hands, but what it sounds like is that the left coil is shorting out when it gets hot, and is grounding the ignition system.

I would also have to wonder about the stop diodes in the wiring harness, as they are supposed to prevent one coil from feeding back to the other.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?