JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Generac GP17500E portable generator with internal

Customer Question

I have a Generac GP17500E portable generator with internal battery charger problems, the battery eventually always goes dead while the generator is running, unless I keep an external float charger attached to the battery. It's out of warranty, but only has 110 hours total. I believe my problems are probably winding related, but I'll tell you what I know.
Both rectifiers test good. The center terminal on the internal charge rectifier BCR2 (2 orange wires) measures 12.5 VDC with the engine running, when I unplug the orange wires, it measures around 5 VDC. Both violet wires measure approx 5 VAC respectively at this point.
Likewise on the external 12 Volt 10 Amp battery charge rectifier BCR1 (red wire), I am only getting an output of about 6 VDC with no load. One yellow input wire is 8.5 VAC and the other is around 5 VAC.
I'm pretty competent with electronics, schematics, and wrenching whatever goes wrong in the shop, but I'm stuck on this one.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You are correct with the assumption that there is a problem in the winding. Generac is very much aware of this problem, it is not an isolated issue. I have run into this problem on two different occasions on this GP17500 machine. The units that I had were constantly burning out rectifiers and they were both still under Generac warranty. I contacted Generac about the problem and their solution was to installed a small 0.75 AHR charger on the machine plugged into one of the outlets and wired to the battery so that when the machine was running it would keep the battery charged. I did not agree with the solution but Generac would not authorize any other repair to be done. Your external charger is the solution unless you want to do a major component replacement. Even when the machine was still under warranty Generac didn't or wouldn't authorize the correct repair, instead they just added a band-aid to solve their problem.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.