Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My cub cadet lax 1050 has problems cranking. It

Customer Question

Hi, my cub cadet lax 1050 has problems cranking. It intermittently starts but takes several turns of the key for this to happen. I have checked the solenoid and it seems to be activating. I have also pulled the starter motor apart and besides some rusty spots, which I cleaned there does not appear to be anything wrong with it either. Any suggestions? Thanks Brian
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . It sounds like the ignition could be the issue . When you turn the key does it click when the motor doesn't turn over ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear the solinoid click in but the starter motor does not engage
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If you can hear it click everytime it's not the ignition , could be the solenoid being the starter isn't slipping or grinding right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the solinoid by removing it and hooking directly to the battery, engaged every time.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok have you removed the spark plugs and see if it will turn over every time ? , if so it could be a compression build up in the engine. Have you done a compression reading on the engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is compression, the starter motor simply does not engage every time but when it does it starts the motor quite easily
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If the starter and solenoid are both working when you tested them then the next thing to suspect besides compression is the ignition switch itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how do I check that?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a multimeter ? , if so you can test the ohms in it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi meter what am I checking
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

This video will give you a basic idea

http://youtu.be/q8G7kxCl9hY

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You have to remove the switch and look at the letter of each terminal.and then check the ohms when turning the key , etc , this should show if the switch is sending signal every time the key is turned

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key do you get lights every time ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm on eastern time so if I don't respond back right away it's because it's 12:00 midnight here but I will check to see if you replied first thing in the morning

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi just wondering if you were able to test the switch ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the switch and the best I could find was I had power to the starter when fully turned and only power to A1 but not to all other terminals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope the pictures tell you a little more, brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok I can look into it further but if the starter works every time and the solenoid has been tested it seems like the switch could be not engaging every time the key is turned

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having trouble sending, will try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does seem odd that power is going through the switch to the starter but it is not activating. Is there a safety switch that is preventing it engaging brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It could be you have safety switches in the seat , brake clutch pedal etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I test for that
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

http://youtu.be/Xi3p465MN1E

This video will show you how to test switches with a multimeter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a few days testing as I am busy. Get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok brian sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the brake/ clutch safety switch and it follows the pattern shown in the video however the seat safety switch has four poles in line and if I connect the two outer poles and then the two inner ones I get a different result. Both sets of terminals show continuity when the switch is open and nothing when engaged. Brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

As in when it's pushed in as in seats on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when sitting on it there is no continuity between any of the pole, brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like the switch isn't allowing spark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was the spark I was worried about, yes, but the starter motor does not spin! Brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

What I meant was the switch isn't allowing current so it's not going to put power to the starter . The only time you should be able to fire the tractor up when your not on it is when the parking brake is locked . So if the switch is bad even when you are sitting on it ( button of switch pressed in ) the circuit still thinks it's closed so the starter is getting no juice

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like the switch could be a issue , have you locked the parking brake and tries to see if it will crank ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I short circuit the switch until I can get a new one, brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried locking the e brake

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume you mean the foot brake, it has to be locked for the mower to start, so yes it is locked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I eventually called a local and he said 9 times out of 10 it is the clutch switch and it was. Perhaps next time I won't waste time and money on this system. Brian
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You can test the clutch switch .