Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Pto does not engage
, when engaging the lever the belt

Customer Question

pto does not engage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when engaging the lever the belt does not tighten
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What is the make and model numbers for your mower?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
MTD made Huskee LT4200 Model series 760-770
Engaging the PTO lever for mowing tightens the spring but does not tighten belt at all
It does not engage and therefore does not mow.Removed the deck and everything appears OK
May have to remove the top cover under the seat. Is that possible and how?
Can this be a safety sensor?Awaiting your response,
Thanks,Frank
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Frank, thanks for your reply. You stated that your spring tightens as you are moving your pto lever, but your belt remains loose. Check the idler arm that your idler pulley mounts to. Let's make sure that your idler arm is not seizing. It needs to pivot freely back and forth, by hand. Your idler pulley tightens your belt.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The dummy that replaced the blades last fall (me) connected the PTO spring to the wrong side of the swiveling point,
Instead it kept the brake on the pulleys.
Works fine now!
Thanks Donald.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome! Please don't consider yourself to be a dummy. Instead, consider your work a learning experience. I do hope all continues to go well for you.