Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

When opening or closing my garage door the unit will power

Customer Question

when opening or closing my garage door the unit will power off all wires are connected what could be the problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  eddie22Island replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not on there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer to earn an excellent service rating from you.initially

I would think that there is a loose connection somewhere but it sounds like you thought the same thing so maybe you can provide me with a little more info as to how this all started and what exactly occurred during it all...............the following is my standard for this type of issue so if you could take a little time for it too

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? CHAMBERLAIN model___________

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are safety sensors on your door do they have either an amber, yellow or green light that is on right now?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights that you now notice

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry i made a wrong call it's not a chamberlain but a Genie make does this make a difference or are they similar in the way they perform. The Genie I had since Nov. 2004, safety sensor are Red and Green and I have two remotes, nothing has change lately that suggest a change in dynamics, and I can do adjustments or more if needed.

unfortunately every opener is different in some way even from the same company....that's why I need you to be as concise as possible and detailed from this point forward until we fix this thing

do you have a Genie model or number ?..........are you sure the sensor light is red and not yellow or amber?.......do you have a working wall control?......is there a flashing indicator light on the opener?..........and again how was it that this all started ?

thanks