Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My blades wont engage lever is in between off and engage is

Customer Question

my blades wont engage lever is in between off and engage is hard to push down. also brakes are locked up.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: checked belt seems to be on. when you push down accelerator will go forward, when you let off the brakes lock up. coming to a jerking stop.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you have a couple of brackets that have rusted and stuck in place. On the side of the transmission housing you will find the brake assembly, just make certain the it is totally releasing this is the most common reason that the brakes will stick or hang is that the linkage is not free or not returning to the off position as it should. The deck engage is normally the idler bracket on the mower deck that is sticking which creates a hard engagement if you can even get it engaged and a lot of times it will cause the mower deck to not disengage properly as well. I would start by checking both of those and lubricating as needed.