Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman electric start 54" mower automatic

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman electric start 54" mower automatic transmission garden tractor. The snow blower does not blow the snow very far 4-6 feet and it can not deal with the volume of snow. The belt has been changed, same result. When the mower is engaged the belt (104133) in the drive mechanism is trying to move but does not. When the drive belt to the auger is disconnected everything appears to be working. Could the problem be the electric clutch or the main drive belt for the tractor or something else. The tractor has about 650 hours (10yrs) and the belt has never been replaced.
Thanks
Joe
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the belt going to the blower attachment may be slipping. If the snow is a really wet heavy snow it would also cause the blower to not work as well. It just can't move the wet snow and blow it as far as it will in a light dry snow. The only other belt would be the transmission drive belt and it really has nothing to do with the blower attachment, it would only cause the machine to not move or pull itself like it should.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The belt has been changed, same result. When the blower is under load and the blower is engaged the belt (104133) in the drive mechanism is trying to move but does not. When the drive belt to the blower is disconnected everything appears to be working. Could the problem be the electric clutch or the main drive belt for the tractor or something else. The tractor has about 650 hours (10yrs) and the belt has never been replaced.

The main drive belt for the tractor will not be the problem as it has nothing to do with the attachment operation, it drives the transmission in order to make the machine move forward and backward. Does the blower work or turn when there is no load on it? If it does then it sounds like the electric clutch may be slipping or not working properly.