JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

, i just got an old toro 8-32. it was working great

Customer Question

hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i just got an old toro 8-32. it was working great when i went to check it out. i just started to cut the grass and all of the sudden it stopped moving. its like it won't go i was cutting in 4th gear and then it just stopped. it turns on just fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you checked the transmission drive belt? There is also a clutching mechanism on the top of the transmission that has a pad on it, it is possible that this pad may be worn out or broken which would cause the machine to not pull itself as well. If you can provide the model and serial number from the tag under the hood I can send you a diagram of what it looks like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model is 56145
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There is also a chain that runs from the side of the transmission down to the differential that may have come off or broken. You may also check to make sure that the bolts are still in place that lock the rear wheels onto the axle. If either one of them were to break or come out the machine would not pull itself or mover. Did you hear anything just prior to it stopping?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of the differential and chain that I am referring to. This model machine was built somewhere between 1983 - 1990.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just saw it! its the belt that snapped!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do u have a diagram on replacing the belt
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Alright. All you will need is a new belt and you should be back in business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do u have a diagram on replacing it?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am working on getting a diagram of the drive belt. Do you know what the serial number on the machine happens to be?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Here is a diagram of the transmission drive belt. I hope that it helps you to get the belt replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
serial#(###) ###-####model 56145
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is Toro part number 47-1410 or Stens aftermarket part number 248-048. This belt will be 1/2" wide X 48" long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since I'm replacing the drive belt, is there anther belt that i should just replace?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You also have a belt that runs the mower deck that could be replaced as well. It is Toro part number 47-1420 or Stens aftermarket part number 248-066 which is 1/2" wide X 66" long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can i buy this at?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

A popular parts website is www.jackssmallengines.com if you want to purchase online. You can also purchase the belts at just about any automotive parts store or farm store. You can also purchase through any of your local small engine or lawn equipment repair shops in your area.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with? If not I Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats all thanks. trying to look now on how to replace it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am including a copy of the owners manual that gives you instructions on page 21 of how to replace the transmission drive belt. I hope that this helps.