Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

ONAN 5500 STARTA AND RUNS MINUTES SURGES DIES CODE 36 CAN

Customer Question

ONAN 5500 STARTA AND RUNS FOR 10 MINUTES SURGES DIES CODE 36 CAN FEEL PUMP RUNNING WHILE PRIMING ,RESTARTS AFTER 5 MINS ,BUT IN THE PERIOD AFTER THERE IS NO PUMP MOVEMENT EVEN WHEN USING THE PRIMING POSITION ON THE CONTROL SWITCH
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I RUN IT EVERY MONTH HAD NO PROBLEM UNTILL YESTER DAY ,2007 MODEL BUT NOT A LOT HOURS RUNNING SMOOTH UNTILL IT STARTED SURGING AND CUT OUT
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If you are getting to the point where the pump will not engage even when priming, the pump is bad and will need to be replaced. This is a common issue on this genset.