Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a club cadet LTX 1040 that needs a little repair. The

Customer Question

Hi! I have a club cadet LTX 1040 that needs a little repair. The drive belt keeps falling off and Im trying to find out if there is a tensioner that can be adjusted so that this does not happen! Thanks!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Well, one of the cables that hold up the deck lost it's cotter pin, so that is probably what caused the issue in the first place. Already replaced the pin. So all I need now is the tension the drive belt!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer is the drive belt popping off in the front near the engine or towards the rear ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not really sure. The belt looks a little shredded. Could that affect the tension of the belt? There are no tears in the belt, but it looks chewed up. Probably from coming off the pulleys. It looks like it comes off in the middle. It just feels that it is too loose when the PTO is not engaged. It gets tighter when the PTO engages, but it appears to slip down just below one of the center pulleys when the PTO is not engaged.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It could yes , under your seat you should have a model number , can you locate that . It will be a number like 13a456b311 etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13WX90AS210
LTX1040 CA
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks . Here is a diagram

https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/ltx1040-13wx90as010-13wx90as056-13wx90as009-13wx90as256-13wx90as210-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2011/drive-system/

Part 44 is the big belt , it has to go to and around the pulley on the rear should be part number 76

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Make sure that it's on back there . On most mtd the battery is located under the seat so you can remove the battery and tray to get better access , it should have belt guides near the pto too

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi were you able to check to see if that belt is on the rear pulley ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

We're you able to check the belt on the pulley on the rear ?