Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is ***** *****. Deere Gator won't crank. It started

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. John Deere Gator won't crank. It started in reverse, ran about 3 minutes and I shut it off. It now won't crank, reverse alarm sounds. It is the remote start with centrifugal closing pulley drive. The engine stops when you let off the gas and the starter drives until engine starts. Any suggestions as battery is charged and battery connections are new and tight.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more can I send?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Model of the Gator? It is still in reverse, per the reverse switch. Switch is likely stuck, and it will not start in reverse gear, has to be in neutral. Have to locate the reverse switch, usually at transmission or reverse linkage, and free it up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This unit has no neutral. The starter runs through the drive belt to the engine to start the engine either in forward or reverse. The only speed control is with the gas pedal. No multiple gear selection is available.

You didn't give me a model. How do you select reverse and forward? Reverse buzzer is on, reverse switch is stuck!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already paid a $5 deposit once tonight with no answer til now. The gator has a selector lever for forward or reverse, no neutral. The reverse alarm sounds when in reverse only.

When you press pedal, it has a micro switch, that sends voltage to the starter solenoid. Do you get clcik at foot pedal? Do you get click at solenoid? Do you have battery voltage to the battery cable on the solenoid? Positive battery cable goes direct to the solenoid, If you jump the two cables on the solenoid, does the starter spin engine?

?? did you get my response?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please refund my payment. Your communications seem to have a problem as I was sent to 2 different technicians with different rates. My information on problem was not forwarded and this site frustrated me.