Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a Generac mega force 6500 generator model number

Customer Question

I have a Generac mega force 6500 generator model number 01006-1. It will run great but it only puts out 140 volts ac across the 2 lines. (70 VAC Line to Neutral) When I disconnect the snubber feedback cable on the Power Regulator Board, the voltage spikes to 320 VAC. Please advise the next steps in diagnosing the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine is running at the correct speed. I have approx. 12 Ohms on the field. My field voltage is 6-9 (oscillating) while the output voltage is stable at 70VAC. Brushes are good & slip rings have been cleaned. I think the snubber feedback is somehow limiting the regulator. However, I am not sure and am reaching out for your input.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the regulator itself has an issue (as some most use a voltage regulator) this can cause a fault like this here.I would have this tested further to see if this is the cause here needing replaced.If this has already been checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete